Thursday, January 29, 2009

....Giving Me a Purpose...

All deep things are song. It seems somehow the very central essence of us, song; as if all the rest were but wrappages and hulls!

~Thomas Carlyle



The first time I absolutely KNEW I wanted to be a singer...OK this is kinda weird but....was the first time I saw The Fifth Element. Here's why.

So if you've never seen the movie at like the middle of the movie Bruce Willis is watching this like alien lady sing. Her name is Diva Plavalaguna. OK so it sound so lame but, she was an amazing singer and I wanted to be just like her. ( just not blue)
I mean if you have a chance, go on you tube and type in her name, and listen to the song she sings. It's quite amazing....
Second is, a lot of people in my family expect me to fail. They don't believe I will make it as singer in the world. That what I am going for is stupid. I am not only doing this for me, but to show them that I AM going to be a singer, and I am going to make it.
I guess it's a lot to do with spiting them, but in the long run, it will pay off immensely for me. I would never do to anyone what they do to me. So in that respect I figure, if I just let it roll off my shoulders now, they'll be the one's looking all salty in the end..not me.
Another part of me wanting to be a singer, is watching sooo many horrid girls out there with no talent making it in the world. Like really are people tone def?? I wanted to be like "BAM" that's what singing sounds like to those who are like, " Oh she's so good", when in reality she sounds like a dying cat.
I guess those are minor reasons I have so much drive....the reason I am the person I am today as far as music goes is because of four men who stepped up to the plate and set me off...
Frank
Him and James were in my life at the same time but they both helped me in different ways.
Frank was my first boyfriend in high school and the first MAN I ever loved. I stress man for a reason but that's a whole nother story all on it's own. Frank opened me up to music and a style all his own. He was the only person in my life at the time who ever gave a shit enough about me to care. Like really care. No matter how much I pushed his love away because I was afraid of rejection (Which I regret doing) He was still there. He gave me a reason to love myself no matter how much self loathing I kept inside. He gave me reason's to write poetry and songs about love that James would help to pull out of me. Frank was and will always be my reason and foundation for everyone else who has to follow in his shoes.
James
This is the only way I can explain him: That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful. He helped the music flow into me. He wasn't good for me by no means, but, he helped me use the music in me to wash away the dust and pain in my soul. He opened my life to some music. He showed me to be my own person and use music in my life to let go of all my pain. He was a beautiful disaster. Tyler opened me up to the rest and Chris gave me hope...
Tyler
...my Devil in disguise. Tyler...oh what to say about dear old Tyler. Well, for sake of good, he gave me my first real show. I sang with him in one of his shows and he introduced me to the world. He also introduced me to different genres of music. He was also beautiful. And other fully coming disaster waiting to happen. But I loved it all the same. He took me out of the gray areas and brought me into the white. ( see cause white is all spectrum's of color ) He taught me to be strong in music and never give up to the ideologies of society. Just as James did he taught me how to not conform.
For that I am deeply grateful. But, he also showed me pain i never thought existed. Oh yeah I lost James but Tyler, he gave me up to the world and poured salt into my open wound. In the process of his lack luster love, he unknowingly showed me how to be a poet in a musical sense. A dreadful musical sense, but still one none the less. I am a better song writer because of his careless love..or lack there of.
CHRIS
He took what Tyler left behind and gave me a reason to sing again. He took me out of the dirt, brushed off my knees, dried my eyes, and kissed my wounds. He helped me to see what at that time love could be. Even though I'm still not quite whole he knew what to say at times to help me write about what good things could come about in my life. And for that I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Samantha I really did enjoy reading your blog :-)..First off let me say that the way you write really makes me want to read more! The whole part about the boys in you life i can REALLY relate to because i have always been a relationship person and have learned alot for them as well. I am happy that you have found someone who encourages your dreams! that is a great sign for your relationship ! I would love to hear you sing out one day because you sound very confident in your voice which is great! I think if ou really love to sing then SING girl ! You can do anthting that you REALLY and WHOLEHEARTEDLY put your body mind and soul into...and with a little help from someone who you love and loves you! You really helped me gain perspective on love again...I have been single for the longest time in my life and hate it...but my last relationship really discouraged me even though i am a HUGE hopeless romantic. I really think your blog was beautiful and I hope you make it to the top lovely!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to post this but I'm not sure if it keeps coming up or not? Anyway, back to posting again. I actually You-Tubed that scene in Fifth Element. Pretty cool, never finished that movie but that Diva lady is pretty bad ass. Through reading this usually people are pretty bitter and suicidal over their exes, but the fact that your ex boyfriend Tyler (I love the red color text for Devil, by the way) motivates you because of how he treated you and you put that forth into your writing. I'd actually love to hear you sing of course, but you should post one of your songs on here. Or read one for the class? A poem even!? See you in a few days! Thank God I'm finally catching up on reading these things. I enjoy em'!

    ReplyDelete